Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Review: Transformers


4 out of 5 stars

So, I went to go see Transformers on Monday night which was opening night for the flick. Theater was crowded, but not horrible as there were several showings at all at once. I'll cut to the chase and simply say that it was a LOT of fun. It is a great popcorn flick and if you did enjoy the 80's toys and cartoon, you'll definitely find a lot to enjoy here. The robots do look different than they used to and some of the action is too fast and motion blurred, but I can't say I even realized nearly 2 and a 1/2 hours had passed when it ended. There was a good area of action and comedy to hold my attention. Shia LeBeouf was great in his role. He added a strong human element to the movie and was very well cast. I especially enjoyed the scenes with his whole family. I haven't bothered to look them up on IMDB, but I got the best chuckles when they were all at home. John Turturro was honestly a riot as a slightly over zealous government agent. One of the weak areas was Megan Fox's acting. However, it was obvious she was cast as an eye-candy love interest. She is absolutely gorgeous and as I was leaving the theater I heard MANY people discussing the "checking out the engine" scene. I must say, she played her part admirably ;) One note, this movie is NOT for young children. I would absolutely draw the line at 9 or 10 years old. It is a bit too aggressive and violent (albeit without blood) for the younger kids. 

There have been quite a large number of negative reviews and it has finally dipped into a "rotten" state over at Rotten Tomatoes. I think some of the reviewers are being too hard on it explaining that their negative review is due to how they feel non-fans will react, but at the same time, they say anyone who grew up with the show and toys will love it? Seems a bit harsh to hold that stance given how many people know and love those toys, but oh well...

1 comment:

LauraC said...

I must say that I am waiting until I watch Transformers to read your review! I can't watch it without Jon, so we're planning to watch it on vacation. Most anticipated summer blockbuster at Casa Case in years.